Broad conversations with feminist broads.
This idea emerged out of a desire for collective learning and informed conversation about issues that matter. It's an invitation to gather and discuss our complex and nuanced world rather than sit at home and withdraw behind a screen. It's an experiment, really, to see what we can learn from each other that can inspire small improvements in our lives, from the simple realization that there are others with the same questions to more tangible community actions, whatever that may mean.
adj. Covering a large number and wide scope of subjects; having a wide range of meanings or applications; including many people of many kinds.
n., informal. A woman.
Broad Conversations are gatherings in Hamilton, Ontario for feminist broads. Our fomal gatherings are designed to inspire new ideas and reflections on important topics within a feminist context. Each event follows the same structure:
- Conversation starters: three speakers - an academic, a practitioner, and an activist - have 15 minutes apiece to share their perspective and reflections on a central theme.
- Guided conversation: attendees respond to prompts to further discuss the speakers and the theme.
- Open mingling: speakers and attendees can continue conversing -- for as long as the venue stays open!
In between our regular formal gatherings, we bring local feminists together for informal social gatherings, like nature hikes and our silent book club. All upcoming events are listed on our Facebook page.
Broad Conversations is also interested in partnering with sister organizations to build community and promote shared values. Get in touch!
Want to help? Find out about how to get involved!
BROAD CONVERSATIONS IS...
- Firm in our mission to further a broad conversation among feminist broads in Hamilton; flexible in our execution of this mission.
- Committed to improvement - of our feminism, intersectionality, and community engagement - and open to honest feedback from everyone.
- Welcoming to all womxn-identified, gender fluid, and gender non-conforming folks interested in respectful - and at times feisty - conversation. While we adore many of our male counterparts, we ask that men respect this as a space for us to converse safely and on our terms.